Come & Experience the Real Tibet!

Tibet Permits for Indians Traveling to Tibet, Tibet Visa from India

29 August 2020 last updated at 19:33 0 Comments

Tibet is famous for its Buddhist culture and spectacular natural scenery, which attract thousands of Indians to visit Tibet each year. Like other international travelers, Indians also need to get Tibet Permits to travel to Tibet, such as Tibet Travel Permit, Aliens’ Travel Permit, Military Permit and Foreign Affairs Permit and Frontier Permit. All these permits are applied for by our tour operator from Tibet Tourism Bureau after you confirm your Tibet tour with us. It is not hard as you think.

All Tibet Permits for India Passport Holders to Travel to Tibet (excl. Kailash Mansarovar & Ngari Prefecture)

1. Tibet Travel Permit

Tibet Travel Permit is the first entry permit for international travelers incl. Indians to travel to Tibet. It is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau. So it is also known as Tibet Entry Permit, Tibet Visa or TTB permit. Without it, you can not take the flight or train to Lhasa from mainland China city.

The application process of your Tibet Travel Permit is simple. You just need book a Tibet tour with us and then give us the scanned copies or pictures of your passport and valid China visa. We will help you apply for it from Tibet Tourism Bureau which is only one department to issue your Tibet Travel Permit. It usually takes at least 8 working days. Therefore, it is better for you to confirm your Tibet tour and give us your valid documents 15 days in advance. Otherwise, the time is very tight to get your Tibet Travel Permit. After we get it, we will give the scanned copy or original one of Tibet Travel Permit to you.

2. Tibet Group Visa or China Visa

If you enter into Tibet from Kathmandu, you do not need apply for China visa from Chinese Embassy in India but need arrive at Kathmandu at least 3 working days in order to apply for Tibet Group Visa. In Lhasa, our tour operator will apply for the invitation letter of your Tibet Group Visa and then send the copy to your travel agency or our cooperated agency in Kathmandu. After you arrive at Kathmandu, you need give your original passport to the office and fill in the application form. After getting your Tibet Group Visa, you will hold it to board your flight to Lhasa or pass Gyirong border.

If you have a China visa on your passport or you want to fly to mainland China cities like Chengdu, Kunming or Xining and then enter into Tibet. You will need China Visa on your passport firstly.

3. Aliens’Travel Permit

When your Tibet tour itinerary covers these areas: Basumtso and Bomi in Nyingchi, Samye Monastery in Tsedang, Mount Everest in Shigaste, we need to help you apply for your Aliens’ Travel Permit in the local Public Security Bureau. It usually takes 1-2 hours.

4. Frontier Permit

When your Tibet tour itinerary contains Mount Everest Base Camp or is overland tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Gyirong border, we need to let your personal information fill in Foreign Affairs Department. The process is known as application of Frontier Permit. Usually, before your Tibet tour starts, we have got it.

5. Military Permit and Foreign Affairs Permit

If your Tibet tour itinerary contains Bomi in Nyingchi or is overland tour from Chengdu to Lhasa, we need to help you apply for your Military Permit and Foreign Affairs Permit from Foreign Affairs Department. Usually, before your start to travel to Tibet, we have got it.

Mount Kailash and Manasarovar LakeMount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar

Tibet Permits and Arrangements for Indians to Ngari Prefecture incl. Kailash Mansarovar Yatra

If you are holding India passport and want to visit Ngari Prefecture or planning a pilgrim trip to Mount Kailash and Monsarovar Yatra, you will need to be verified and issued jointly by the Foreign Affairs Office of TAR, Tibet Military Region, Armed Police Tibet Frontier Corps and the Department of Public Security of TAR.

In Tibet, there are two organizations who can operate your tour to Mt. Kailash and Mansarovar. One is Foreign Affairs Office of TAR (governmental); the other is Pilgrim Center (non-governmental), short for Tibet-India pilgrim Reception Center. You can book your Mt. Kailash and Mansarovar pilgrimage tour with a Nepal or India travel agency who is the authorized partner with Pilgrim Center and Foreign Affairs Office of TAR. But finally, you will need to join in the same pilgrimage group which is more expensive than our regular Mount Kailash tour.

There are two kinds of pilgrimage tours. One tour is from Nepal to Ngari Prefecture via Gyirong border directly and then back to Nepal after Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Yatra. Another tour is flying to Lhasa and then take the Lhasa to Mount Kailash tour. For this tour, you can come back to Lhasa for departure or depart from Gyirong border to Kathmandu, Nepal.

Tibet Permits for Indian Americans to Travel to Tibet

If you are a Indian American, you must hold a US passport. Your Tibet Permits are applied by us as usual. Even though you want to visit Mount Kailash for pilgrimage, you will not be taken as a pilgrim and you do not need to join in the pilgrimage group. You can choose from one popular tour from our Mount Kailash tours.

Recommended Tibet Tour Itinerary

Lamas at Tashilunpo Monastery
Group type: 2-12 clients small group
Tour Price:from USD710
View Details
Mount Everest
Group type: 2-12 clients small group
Tour Price:from USD830
View Details

Questions & Answers

Question Summary (100 characters):*

Details (2000 characters):


Please input your information

Your Full NameYour Full Name:

Your Email Address: *