In recent years, more and more International tourists choose to enter Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal. According to the regulations of Chinese Immigration Administration, International tourists who enter Tibet firstly from Nepal are required to apply for China Group Visa to Tibet.
What is Group Visa to Tibet from Nepal?
Group Visa to Tibet is a special kind of single-entry Chinese Visa. It is issued on a piece of A4 paper to travelers who enter Tibet from Nepal firstly by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, so it is also known as Chinese Group Visa or Tibet Group Visa. It has a maximum of 30 days.
1. The Important Things to Know about Group Visa to Tibet
1) Whether you already had China Visa on your passport or not, it will be expired automatically when you are applying for Group Visa to Tibet. So if you fly from Kathmandu to Lhasa by flight or by overland via Gyirong border, you do not need apply for China Visa in your country.
2) The validity of Group Visa to Tibet is 30 days. You can use it to visit Tibet and other mainland China provinces together within 30 days.
3) All travelers on the Tibet Group Visa have to enter Tibet from Nepal together, travel in Tibet together and depart from China together. All China tour itineraries need follow the scheduled and submitted itinerary on Group Visa. (Latest rules: at least 5 travelers from same countries can apply for a Group Visa. )
4) The applicant of Group Visa need book Tibet tour with a Tibet travel agency and then the agency can apply for invitation letter of Group Visa from Tibet Tourism Bureau. In Kathmandu, the application need submit Group Visa application and invitation letter to China Embassy in Kathmandu via an authorized travel agency.
2. The Differences between Group Visa and China Visa?
|Items||Group Visa to Tibet||China Visa|
|Entry Point||Enter Tibet from Nepal||Enter Other mainland China provinces from all countries|
|Appearance||A sheet of paper||A stamp on passport|
|Application||Only via Tibet travel agency||By yourself or via travel agency|
|Issuing Authority||Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu||All Chinese Embassy in your country or the third country|
|Number of entries||Single-entry visa||Singe or multiple entry visa|
|Holders of visa||All group members together||Individual|
|Validity||30 days||30, 60 or 90 days; 10 years, etc.|
|Can be Extended or Not||Difficult to change or extend||Available|
Who Should Apply for Group Visa to Tibet? Who Can Not Get It in Nepal?
The Group Visa to Tibet is issued to all International travelers who enter Tibet from Nepal. If you fly to Nepal for transport and then travel to Tibet from Kathmandu by flight or by overland, you should apply for Group Visa to Tibet from Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal.
But the following travelers can not get Group Visa for Tibet tour in Nepal.
1) Travelers from these countries: Pakistan, Bangladesh, Srilanka, Afghanistan, Azerbajan, lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Albania, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Libya, Mali, South Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia, Tunisia, Chad.
2) All internationals travelers who ever traveled to above countries within 3 months.
Therefore, we recommend the above travelers to apply for China Visa (L visa) from Chinese Visa in advance and then enter other mainland China provinces, such as Chengdu, Beijing, Shanghai, and then travel to Tibet.
How to Apply for Group Visa to Tibet and Tibet Entry Permit from Nepal?
Follow the following 6 steps to apply for Group Visa for your Tibet tour:
Step 1: Consult Tibet Tourism to design your tour tour Tibet and book a Tibet tour with us.
Step 2: Send us a clear and complete scanned copy of your valid passport (at least 6 months).
Step 3: We apply for the invitation letter of your group visa and Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau.
Step 4: Complete Tibet Group Visa application. Our travel agency in Kathmandu will guide you to fill a Visa Application Form, collect your original passport and passport-size photo. (Note: You can still hold copy of passport to travel in Nepal when you original passport is submitted to embassy for visa application.)
Step 5: Submit all required documents by us (including the Invitation Letter prepared by us) to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu.
Step 6: Pick up your Tibet Group Visa. Once your Group Visa is issued, we will collect it and your original passport from Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu on embassy working days from Monday to Friday. And then give it to you before you take a flight to Lhasa or start overland tour to Tibet via Gyirong Port.
How Much to Apply for Tibet Group Visa Cost, Invitation Letter and Tibet Entry Permit Fee?
|Nationality||Times of Entry||Normal Visa Fee(4 working days)||Semi Urgent Visa Fee(3 working days)|
|Albanian Citizens & Micronesian Citizens||Single||US$64||US$86|
1) The form was updated on Feb. 15, 2020 for reference.
2) Tibet Tourism charges additional USD20 each person service fee: handling Tibet Group Visa Application in Chinese Embassy in Nepal on your behalf.
3) You enjoy free service fee for the application of invitation letter and Tibet Entry
What Documents to Offer for Group Visa Application?
In Nepal, it takes at least 3 working days to apply for your Tibet Group Visa. So, you need arrive at Kathmandu at least 3 working days prior to your tour to Tibet to offer the following documents.
1. Valid Passport
Your original passport should have at least 6 months validity with blank pages. And you also need to prepare scanned copy to use for your tour in Nepal.
2. Passport-size Photos
The personal photo is required to be a recent 48mmX33mm front passport-size photo on white background without hat on.
3. Application Form
The application form of Group Visa to Tibet is as same as that of China tourist visa. Our travel agency in Kathmandu will prepare it in the office and you need go to fill in it.
Where will Group Visa be Checked?
1. At Kathmandu Airport
When you are picking up your flight ticket from Kathmandu to Lhasa, you need to show your original passport and Tibet Group Visa. Then you will board the flight to Lhasa. After you arrive at Lhasa Gonggar airport, our Lhasa tour guide will hold your original Tibet Entry Permit to pick you up at airport.
2. At Gyirong Port
When you take overland tour to Tibet from Kathmandu via Gyirong Port, you need to show your original passport and Tibet Group Visa at security check of Gyirong Port. Our Tibet tour guide will hold your original Tibet Entry Permit to pick you up at China side of Gyirong Port.
3. Other Check Points
Your Tibet Group Visa will be checked in the following places: hotels, security points, train stations, airports. Especially at the airport from which you fly out of China. So please take care of it till you already leave China.
How can I Get to Tibet from Nepal?
1. By Flight
Each day, there are two international flights flying from Kathmandu to Lhasa. They are 3U8720 operated by Sichuan Airlines and CA408 operated by Air China. This air line is only international line to Tibet.
2. By Overland
Now, there is only Gyirong port for international and domestic travelers to enter Tibet from Nepal because Zhangmu port was closed due to earthquake in 2015.
3. By Train
In December 2018, the feasibility study scheme of China-Nepal railway had passed the joint evaluation of Chinese and Nepalese government departments. According to the original plan, the railway from Shigatse to Gyirong Port will be operated in 2022, and the railway from Kathmandu to Gyirong will be operated within 7 years. In the future, travelers will be able to travel to Tibet from Kathmandu by train.